Kelfield Cricket Club
Kelfield Cricket Club is the York Vale League’s longest serving continuous member having joined in 1947. They took their rightful place back in York Vale League Division 1 after winning promotion from York Vale League Division 2 in 2012.
One of the founder members of the club, Joss Darley, a stalwart of Kelfield Village Institute, not only played, but served both club and league as secretary for 29 and 43 years respectively. Brothers Walter and George Atkinson were also both founder members of the club. They were uncles to Jeff Atkinson who is club chairman. Jeff played for Kelfield CC for over 50 years. His cousin, Maurice, was one of Kelfield’s best post war skippers. Maurice’s son, Neil Atkinson, is the current captain of the Riccall Lane side. He also takes great pride in preparing and maintaining the pitch itself. Neil’s son, Jacob, Neil’s cousin, Andrew, and wicketkeeper Ben Atkinson, Andrew’s son, keep the family tradition going. Neil’s uncle, Richard, was also a Kelfield regular in years gone by. For good measure, Neil’s wife, Elizabeth, is the team’s scorer and plays for Hemingbrough Ladies Cricket team along with their daughter, Claudia. The Atkinsons are also related to the Goltons who have supplied a long line of players for Kelfield Cricket Club over the last 65 years.
Kelfield CC won the York Vale League Section A in 1948, 1963 and 1970 and were champions of the York Vale League Section B in 1974. They currently play in Division 1 of the York Vale League having won promotion from Division 2 in 2012 as runners up. They last won the Division 2 title in 1994. They won the Prendergast Cup in 1960 and the Prendergast Memorial Trophy in 1992.
Kelfield CC attracts players from neighbouring villages as well as its own, but there is an annual cup competition in which Kelfield and other villages can only field players who live in their village. This is the annual Canon Hedley Trophy which dependent on the draw often means an extra evening match or two on Kelfield CC’s Riverside Ground and another cup to compete for.
The Kelfield Cricket Club field has recently been acquired by Kelfield Parish Council to ensure that cricket can be played in the village for perpetuity. The Parish Council helped the club apply for grants to replace the old pavilion and upon purchase of the field, have had it fenced around the boundary.
Nigel Adams MP was present for the inauguration of the cricket field on St. George’s Day, 23rd April for the first fixture of the 2011 season at home to Westow. On a beautiful sunny day, Kelfield CC made 225 for the loss of 7 wickets and then bowled Westow all out for 126, winning by 99 runs.
Kelfield villagers are welcome to use the field for playing, but are asked to respect the wicket itself. The square is seasonally seeded, nurtured, cultivated, cut and rolled for cricket by club captain Neil Atkinson as a labour of love.
Please clean up after your pet so children can play safely. There is a doggy bin at the end of the track on Riccall Lane next to the village sign.